Scroll to Top
BRVC Blog
Snail Bait Poisoning
March 8, 2013
Snail bait is the most common poisoning agent of dogs in California. Warning signs of snail bait poisoning include anxious twitching that becomes uncontrollable, racing heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea and respiratory failure.The twitching progresses to seizures and potentially death. Seizures can raise a pet's body temperature so high that brain damage can occur.


Know the facts:

  • The toxic ingredient in snail bait is metaldehyde and can cause seizures in animals that can be fatal.
  • Snail bait is commonly sold in pellets that resemble dog food and have a flavor that attracts dogs.
  • Snail bait can be licked off paws during grooming.
  • It takes less than one teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight for snail bait to become toxic.
  • Pet-safe alternatives to snail bait include Sluggo Slug & Snail Bait, handpicking, and copper barriers

If you think your pet may have ingested snail bait call us immediately at 925.866.8387!




Sign Up for our Newsletter!
Sign Up