Halloween is a time of spooky decorations, clever costumes, and delicious treats. It can also present hidden dangers for our favorite pets. Follow our safety tips to make sure your pet has a ghoulishly great Halloween!
No Tricks, No Treats
- Chocolate in all forms-especially dark and baking chocolate-are very dangerous for dogs and cats.
- Keep chocolate well out of reach of curious pets. Use out of reach cupboards or the refrigerator.
- Talk with your kids about the importance of not leaving chocolate and other candy around for your pets to eat.
- You can reference our handy chocolate toxicity chart here.
- Call us immediately if you suspect your pet of ingesting chocolate.
- Other candies, such as gum, chewy candies, jawbreakers, and hardballs can be choking hazards.
- Candy can cause gastrointestinal upset and pancreatitis.
- Candy and gum containing the artificial sweetner Xylitol are toxic to pets and can lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure. Xylitol consumption often requires hospitalization.
- Be cautious when using candles. Make sure they cannot be easily knocked over by playful puppies or curious cats. Not only can your pet be seriously injured but starting a fire is a serious risk.
- Keep wires and cords from electric lights our of reach to avoid electrical shcok. Puppies and kittens especially love to chew and play with cords.
- Keep an eye out for potential choking hazards to your pet. Adjust anything that hangs low or dangles in reach of your pet.
Know the Signs of Illness
If your pet develops any of these symptoms, contact us immediately:
- Loss of appetite
- Foaming at the mouth
- Sudden listlessness
Keep Your Pet Indoors
- Keep your pets in a safe place when opening the door for trick-or-treaters. They can easily dart out the door in the midst of all the excitement.
- Deck out your pet's safe room with food, water, a bed, and a litter box to keep them comfortable.
- Make sure all pets are microchipped and wearing up to date ID tags.
- Please do not put your pet in a costume unless you know he or she loves it--we know there are pets who do! Wearing a costume can cause some pets undue stress.
- Make sure the costume is not annoying or unsafe. It should not constrict your pet's movement, sight, or hearing and should not impede their ability to breathe, bark, or meow.
- Ill-fitting costumes can get twisted on external objects leading to injury.
- Small, dangling, or easily chewed-off pieces are potential choking hazards.
- Never leave your pet unattended in their costume.
A Special Note About Cats
- Sadly, cats are at a high risk of being pet-napped or harmed during Halloween season.
- Black cats especially are more at risk of being the target of cruelty.
- If you have a cat that goes outdoors try and keep them inside around Halloween.