Scroll to Top
Lives Saved
Emergency & Urgent Care
Tuffy

Age: 2 years    Breed: Mixed


Tuffy was rushed to Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center & Urgent Care after being bit twice by a rattlesnake in the face! This happened in her own backyard – Tuffy and her family live on a ranch in Livermore. She was treated immediately with pain medication and stayed overnight for care. Her severe swelling had to be constantly monitored and measured to ensure she was improving.




Rattlesnake bite symptoms are very serious; besides the extreme swelling and pain, the toxins from the venom disrupt blood clotting and interfere with circulation. This can lead to shock and death. The swelling can also impair a pet’s ability to breath – also leading to death. Necrosis of the wounded tissue can occur, sometimes leading to amputation. It is not surprising that rattlesnake bites are 20 to 25 times more fatal in dogs than in humans.




Luckily, Tuffy’s treatment went well, she improved and was able to go home with her family on Sunday. Rattlesnake bites are a reality for pet owners in the East Bay. The rattlesnake vaccine can help your dog when they need it most by lessening the severity of the reaction and buying valuable time to get to the vet for treatment. You can learn more about the vaccine here. You can also read Dr. Weaver's blog about rattlesnakes, the vaccine, and rattlesnake avoidance tips here.

Sign Up for our Newsletter!
Sign Up