Fecal samples play an essential role in helping us keep your pet healthy. Though it is sometimes a dirty job, it is important that it is done correctly! Follow the guidelines below to collect and submit a proper fecal sample for the lab.
- Samples should be a minimum of 5 grams or the size of a U.S. quarter or 1 teaspoon.
- A quality sample should be fresh, no more than 6 hours old.
- If refrigerated the feces is good for no more than 24 hours.
- Try and avoid contaminants, such as soil or lawn chemicals when collecting your sample as these can affect the integrity of the sample.
- The sample should not have rocks or yard debris in it; cat litter is ok. If submitting a liquid stool it must be free of cat litter (off of carpet, linoleum, or cement is acceptable).
It is important that samples be submitted appropriately.
- Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center has collection kits available at no charge.
- However, you can also use:
- Double plastic bags
- Small Tupperware containers
- Please do NOT use:
- Wipes/paper towels
- Medication containers (these can contaminate the sample)
The fecal sample results will be available within 48-72 hours. You will receive a call with the results within that timeframe.