Age: 3 yrs
Breed: Bernese Mountain Dog
Argyle was enjoying a hike with his family on a trail in Alamo when he began to suffer from heatstroke. He took an unfortunate fall into a 60 foot creek bed and his family was unable to get him out. His parents called the San Ramon Valley Firefighters for assistance, who were able to lift him out of the creek with their basket and rope. The firefighters brought Argyle straight to BRVC after his rescue.
Argyle's temperature was 106 degrees when he arrived at BRVC. Normal body temperature in dogs and cats runs from 99.5 to 102.5. With heat stroke, we can see temperatures of 104 and higher. Once temperatures reach 106 and higher, organ damage can result and aggressive treatment and hospitalization is required.
The first sign of heat stroke is excessive panting and restlessness. As it progresses, pets will start to salivate excessively. Most will go into shock - they may start to have vomiting, diarrhea, and become weak or unsteady; their gum color is often brick red. It is extremely important to get your pet to your veterinarian as soon as you suspect they may have heat stroke symptoms.
Dr. Sagy and her team began aggressive treatment for Argyle which included IV fluid therapy, blood plasma transfusions, antibiotics, heart medications, and gastrointestinal protectants. Over the course of several tense days Argyle slowly improved. He began to walk, drink, and eat on his own and he was finally able to go home with his family 5 days after his accident.
We are extremely happy to report Argyle is home with his family and is doing well. Three cheers for the San Ramon Valley Firefighters, Dr Sagy, and her BRVC team for saving this adorably sweet dog!