Age: 3 years 7 months
Breed: Retriever Mix
Rosco is a 3 year old retriever mix who was bitten by a rattlesnake. At the time Rosco had never received the rattlesnake vaccine. One afternoon his owners let him and their other dog out to play in their backyard. Shortly after, one of the dogs had let out an alarming cry and Jaime ran to investigate where he found a 2 foot rattlesnake with a 3 inch rattle in the corner of their fence. Immediately Jaime went to check the dogs and Rosco was whimpering, he had two bleeding puncture marks on his nose. Jaime scooped him up into the car knowing the dangers of a rattlesnake bite and the importance of urgency to get him treated. Rosco was already showing symptoms with swelling, tearing, and drooling. It was apparent he was in so much pain.
It only took about 10 minutes to get to Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center and as soon as Jaime told the staff what happened they tended to him immediately. Rosco was taken to treatment where he was started on an IV and administered pain medication. Dr. Kristi Peterson was very thourogh and gave Rosco's owners options and without hesitation they decided to give Rosco the antivenom and have him stay for overnight observation with access to IV fluids, antibiotics, and pain control as that was the best treatment for him.
The next morning Bishop Ranch Veterinary Center contacted the owners and let them know how much improvement he had and he would be able to go home that day.
Rosco is fully recovered and only has a small battle wound from the day he encountered a rattlesnake!